The AUM is a sacred symbol originating in the ancient religions of Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism.
It represents the sound, vibration and consciousness that is the Universe.
It is believed that the creation of the Universe began with a vibration which became a sound, the sound was AUM. It is the beginning of everything.
The AUM is normally used as a mantra during meditation and during yoga practice. The belief is that by chanting AUM, it has a profound effect on the body and mind.
The AUM symbol represents the four different states of our life :
A = the first is the conscious state of Vaishvanara, the state of our experiences through our five senses;
U = the second is the dream state of Taijasa, neither conscious nor subconscious;
M = the third is our hidden consciousness, the state of Prajna – what is not yet revealed or has not yet manifested
The AUM symbol also contains Maya (Illusion) – the part that lies between ourself, our states and enlightenment. Maya is what keeps us from transcending to enlightenment – the ultimate state.
The fourth is the Transcendental state known as Turiya and is the final state represented in the AUM symbol. It is the ultimate, enlightened self representing purity, clarity and deep consciousness. This is where the Self merges with Source, the Divine, Creator of all that is or God and there is no longer any separation. It is represented by the silence after AUM and is the rarest of all states accomplished in the human experience – Infinite Consciousness.
The symbol we are all familiar with is the visualisation of the representation of the meaning of AUM. It consists of three curves, a semicircle and a dot.
- The large curve at the bottom is the conscious or waking state “A”;
- The middle curve is the dream state “U”;
- The upper curve is the hidden consciousness, the state of deep sleep “M”;
- The dot is the fourth state of consciousness “Turiya”; and
- The semi circle at the top represents “Maya” and separates the state of “Turiya” from the other three states signifying that the illusion that is Maya is an obstacle to reaching Infinite Consciousness.
Each part of the AUM symbol relates to a chakra in the body and as you sound each of the parts of the AUM you become aware of the four states of consciousness as you move up through your body:
- “A” is the root chakra, the energy centre of the material;
- “U” is the heart chakra, inward focus of the mind;
- “M” is the third eye chakra, the state of deep meditation;
- The silence is the crown chakra which connects us to Universal Consciousness and when we sit in silence, the illusions that separate us from the Universe disappear.
The AUM sounded in conjunction with a conscious energetic movement in the body that balances the chakras and moves you through the four states of consciousness is profound. To sit in the silence and feel the connection with the Universe. To know true peace is to have reached the state of the ultimate AUM.
Try AUM as a mantra when you practice your meditation. Feel the energetic release through the body as you travel through the chakras. Release and connect through your Crown chakra. Enjoy the Oneness with the Universe.
I am a spiritual life coach, mentor, meditation teacher, reiki master, holistic life coach and energy healer. I work with women and guide them into their empowered selves by rediscovering their inner strength, self-worth, power and freedom so that they reconnect with their Higher Selves. What I’m truly passionate about is working in collaboration with other conscious women to bring healing and balance to the world. Connect on Facebook and Instagram. Safe journeys, Namaste Leanne